Image for header

Image for header

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Brooch - foil

Taking the positive experience making the egg shell brooch, I was curious what would happen with the foil from the Hershey kisses with Valentine colors - red and pink.  The E6000 glue wasn't working - it was like rubber cement and way too globby as I worked with it. The super glue was much better. After my fingers had one coating of super glue, my finger tips were hard and made it easier to pat the additional foil pieces. Problem -- the glue made the foil color lift and transfer to my fingers, so I had to dab carefully while the glue was wet. Once the glue dried, I could continue working.

The other challenge was making the accompanying stick pin. There were 4 failures attempting to solder the piano wire (steel) to the copper (not enough surface connection), Solution - I hammered the steel end for a flat and wider surface.  I reused the brooches center disc to create the pin's end bead.

     Copper 22g, piano wire 20g
     Copper disc 1/2" inside dia, 1" outside dia.
     Hershey kisses foil (silver, red, pink) 

No comments:

Post a Comment